Seven Great Summer Lawn Care Tips
1. If you’ve got a warm season lawn (like Kikuyu or Couch) you can reduce your mowing height. In summer these lawns are thriving and growing well and can be cut to around 25-30mm height. Raise heights again as summer comes to an end.
2. With cool season grasses (like Tall Fescue or Ryegrass) you can leave them a little longer in summer – around 40mm.
3. Try to mow regularly as infrequent mowing of lawns like Couch in summer can result in a stalky lawn, which looks less green and lush.
4. Water early in the morning before the heat of the day, remembering that wind will suck the moisture out of the lawn and soil. To water effectively, give the lawn a good soaking every few days, rather than a quick soak when you think about it!
5. Wetting agents can help not just your lawn but also your garden! Wett Up Soil Wetting agent helps in the uptake of the water and saves wastage when difficult to wet soils forces the water to run off. Apply a wetting agent like Wett Up 1-2 times each summer.
6. If you get bare spots on your lawn from wear and tear, try to move the activity around. Change the angle of the cricket pitch to give those patches a chance to rejuvenate.
7. A quick note on fertilisers: Leave your Cool Season lawn fertilising until Autumn as your lawn will be dormant in summer and won’t take up the nutrients. BUT – it’s the perfect time to fertilise your Warm Season Lawn with either Renovator Fertiliser or Gold Pro Slow Release Fertiliser.
Open: 8.00am - 6.30pm EST M-F 8.00am - 2.00pm EST Sat
Phone: 1800 369 669
1800 FOX MOW
Buy a gift voucher for one of our services. Give them to your loved ones as a thankyou. Call our office or buy online.